There was tension in Osogbo on Wednesday evening as security escorts of Governor Ademola Adeleke engaged some unidentified men in a gun duel during the governor’s visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo.
The governor visited the monarch shortly after receiving his certificate of return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)
The incident, which caused panic in the area, occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall where he had met with the traditional ruler.
Residents of Oja Oba Osogbo said the incident caused panic for over 15 minutes as the gunmen kept shooting sporadically while the governor’s security details returned fire.
Adeleke’s convoy arrived at the palace around 3:20pm, with his supporters to express gratitude to the people of Osogbo for supporting him in Saturday’s election.
A palace source said, “The gunmen came in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo. The governor was about to leave the place and had already boarded the vehicle with his close aides when we started hearing heavy gunshots.”
The State Commissioner for Information, Oluoomo Kolapo Alimi and Governor’s spokesman, Malam Rasheed Olawale, while confirming the incident, said Governor Adeleke was not affected.
Alimi and Olawale linked the incident to a clash between cult groups, saying the governor’s security details only responded to ensure his safety.